24 اپریل 2024

spring


Last year, no, the year before that 

we planted Lavender and peonies 

and Chrysanthemum, some Perennials too 

Plants with strange names, Unfamiliar scents 

All thrive in partial to full sun 

I don't know what that really means 

I lack a green thumb

It was my sister's idea 

To help me Focus on things that could be 

And to let go of the rest 

Like planning and planting 

and taking care of flowers can help people let go 

But this is almost like what I was doing before 

Like not letting go 

Trying to control the uncontrollable 


And I wasn't even doing anything. 

I don't have to do anything. 

I told myself, "I will only stand there 

and stare at them 

I will stand in front of these plants 

every single day of the year 

I will ask them 

What's new in their life 

Are they blooming yet? 

Are they happy there? 

Am I upsetting them?" 


But the chipmunks. 

Lavenders were there to keep the chipmunks away 

In less than a year, they ate them all 

one by one, tugging them in from underground, 

leaving empty flowerbeds with holes behind 

Lavenders repel chipmunks. I did my homework 

Lavenders were the last ones to go 

Chipmunks made them purposeless first 

Lavenders found it easy to let go 

of themselves 

once they had nothing to lose or to save 


Today. someone handed me 

a raspberry starter plant 

To celebrate spring 

And someone else advised me 

to put a fence around it this time 

.That little plastic one 

her third-grade voice is full of promise 

She has a berry plant in her backyard 

And she knows EveryThing about it 

But if I keep it in a miniature four-inch pot 

chipmunks can't eat these, I reason. 


Maybe, but it might be very hard, she said 

This Plant usually grows big, 

like four feet wide 

she widened her arms 

as much as she could … 

I know it will never grow four feet wide 

In my backyard, 

It is safe in partial sun by the window 

Where I will stare at it every day 

for no reason at all.

کوئی تبصرے نہیں: